Friday, November 25, 2016

Local profile - Valentina Maxwell-Tansley

I've known Valentina a number of years now.  We first met as members of the Banyule Arts and Culture Advisory Committee and now as fellow Board members at Bundoora Homestead Art Centre.  I've also seen Valentina's work in galleries given she wears a number of different hats!  She is one of the most dynamic people I know - someone who isn't afraid to step up and take on a leadership role, which I really admire.  Read on for more about the lovely Valentina...
Valentina Maxwell-Tansley photo by Janina Revill
Name: Valentina Maxwell-Tansley
Occupation: Artist, Designer and Creative Consultant
Lives/works: Thornbury 
How long have you lived/worked here? I first lived in Thornbury when I was a student at La Trobe in the late 1990s. After a stint working in the UK I ended up back in Thornbury and have been here now for 12 years.
Maxwell-Tansley artwork photo by Janina Revill
Describe yourself/what you do:
I started out as a musician and composer, however I was always the person who booked the gigs, designed the flyers and did the publicity. It’s no surprise that I ended up working in performing arts and venue management for over 15 years. During that time I worked on a lot of amazing projects, however after the arrival of my two boys it was time to take a step back.
Parallel photo by Janina Revill
Over the years I have dabbled in many creative pursuits, but it wasn’t until I was on maternity leave that I seriously started thinking about exploring my interest in the visual arts. Over the past few years I’ve been studying and practicing visual arts and design whilst juggling my freelance work as a Creative Consultant. I mainly work with government and creative businesses to develop strategies and business plans. I also sit on a number of arts advisory panels and am honoured to be the Chair of the Bundoora Homestead Arts Centre.  

Over the past year I’ve really immersed myself in printmaking, specifically monoprinting. I love the organised chaos that comes from monoprinting and my technique of using found objects creates really interesting results. I just staged an exhibition of my work at The Goodness Bureau and am already working on a couple of projects for next year.  

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne’s north-east: 
I love the creative vibe of the northern suburbs. Where I live in Thornbury has really evolved over the past ten years, and I really like being able to do my shopping locally and support the local traders. There are so many great eateries opening up all the time, I just can’t keep up! It’s great to see the love returning to high street.

For more information:
valentina@tansley.com.au 

1 comment: