Friday, November 4, 2016

Local profile - Jenni Mazaraki

Jenni and I first had dealings online with her role at Greenhills Neighbourhood House in Greensborough.  It was lovely to meet her in person at my Bold Thinking Series lecture 'Has Facebook killed the news?' last month at the State Library as she is currently studying communications at La Trobe University.  It's always fantastic to meet other local creative people and she is definitely one to watch.  Read on for more about Jenni...
Name: Jenni Mazaraki
Occupation: Like most creative people, I wear a few hats! I’m an artist, designer and writer. I’m interested in communication in its many forms. I work as a Communications Project Officer at Greenhills Neighbourhood House as well as working on my own projects such as the localstoryspace blog.
Lives/works: I live and work in Melbourne’s north east
How long have you lived/worked here? I’ve lived in the area for almost 7 years.
Describe yourself/what you do:
I often say that I bring words and pictures together. I essentially help people and organisations tell their stories with digital and print media. I write, draw, design, take photos and create audio and video to build a story.

I’ve recently started the localstoryspace blog where I’m writing articles about the amazing creative people in the local area. The blog is about art and culture and I’m particularly interested in the ways that women make time and space for creativity in their lives.

I have a background in fine art, visual communication and art therapy. I love art and design and want to support the local artists and craftspeople who diligently work in their studios, making art, running classes and running their businesses. I’m also particularly interested in community projects that bring people together through creativity. I love the way that local neighbourhood houses such as Greenhills Neighbourhood House run a range of programs to encourage the community to live creative, healthy and socially connected lives.

My design and writing work allows me to bring people’s creativity stories to a broader audience so that we can encourage, support and cheer each other on in whatever we may be doing.

I visit people in their creative space and chat about their creative projects. My recent interviews have been in a pottery studio, a shipping container art gallery and in a craft group in a friend’s home. My next interviews will be in a rambling garden and then in a home office of a certain local blogger (Miss Rosanna!). I have a couple of book projects on the go as well.

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne’s north-east:
The most amazing thing about the north east is all of the wonderful down to earth people who are part of our lives.

For more information:
To read, listen and view creative stories:
https://localstoryspace.wordpress.com
https://www.instagram.com/localstoryspace
https://www.facebook.com/localstoryspace

To join a group or activity at Greenhills Neighbourhood House:
http://www.greenhillsnc.org.au/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina, thanks for your kind words. I've been a fan of your work for some time and now I'm on your blog! I can't wait to interview you in the next few weeks! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jenni! I look forward to having you over soon. Love from Miss Rosanna x

    ReplyDelete