Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Halloween hangover

I'm happy that the sun is starting to come out from behind the clouds although I still can't believe what a cold, wet and windy Spring it's been so far.  I'm glad it was such a beautiful day for any of you who went to Derby Day on Saturday.  We are suffering from Halloween hangover today after going to a neighbour's house party after trick or treating last night.  Halloween is big in our street and while I've felt a bit ambivalent about celebrating it, I think it comes second only to Christmas in terms of excitement for my kids and well, I don't mind a bit of dressing up!  I'm not the only one - the hands down winner this year was a school mum who came dressed as a zombie bride.
Me and my two ring wraiths
The past week seems to have gone by in a flash as I've had friends in town from Singapore and Granny Annie here from Queensland, on top of holding my second last Bold Thinking Series public lecture for the year last Thursday night, which was a fantastic event for those who came.  Both Shen Narayanasamy and Chris Berg were great speakers with a lot of presence and charisma - something you can't manufacture - while La Trobe legal academics Patrick Keyzer and Nicola Henry made up the rest of the extremely strong panel.
The Zombie Bride
The last lecture for the year will be on Education and I'll be excited to meet writer and school principal John Marsden, who is a bit of a hero of mine.  Joining him on the panel will be La Trobe academics Dr Joanna Barbousas and Rosa Storelli who will all talk about the Education Revolution and whether we are the clever country or not.
L-R: Dr Nicola Henry, Chris Berg, MC Francis Leach, Professor Patrick Keyzer, Shen Narayanasamy
& Professor Chris Mackie
The 20th Darebin Music Feast is currently on until 6 November and there are a number of local events celebrating David Bowie and Prince.  There's a Prince Bowie dance party at Preston's Fresh Hood this Friday night while the Thornbury Theatre is holding a Bowie Unzipped tribute concert early next year to celebrate what would have been Bowie's 70th birthday.
Image via Music Feast
The countdown is already on until Christmas and I can't believe my calendar is now full until December.  I thought the supermarkets and newsagencies were starting a bit early this year with Christmas food and Santa letterboxes out before the Spring Racing Carnival.  I've got a couple of local profiles to put up between now and the end of the year so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment