Friday, September 16, 2016

Sweet as

While it hasn't felt much like Spring this week, there are lots of exciting events happening over the next few weeks and months.  I've been busy organising my own Bold Thinking Series event at La Trobe University, 'Has Facebook killed the news?' looking at the blurry business of information, entertainment and clickbait journalism, which will be a very interesting conversation featuring Journalism and Communications lecturers Hugh Martin and Mark Civitella along with the Gruen Transfer's Jane Caro at the State Library on 22 September.  I'm also pleased to say that the numbers are already pretty high for this event and we hope to sell out in the next week.  The lectures are free so please register and come along if you're interested!
Image via www.livingstone.org.au
The Rosanna Spring Fair at Rosanna Village is on tomorrow from 10 am - 3 pm and I hope the weather holds out - there'll be rides, entertainment, face painting, pony rides and a petting zoo.  The Ivanhoe Makers Market is also on and is undercover - I went to the Christmas market late last year on a scorching hot day so was also glad to be indoors at The Livingstone Community Centre in Ivanhoe.
Other markets on this weekend include the Eltham Community Craft & Produce Market, the hippy St Andrews Community Market and the Wild About Melbourne pop up market at the Thornbury Bowls Club.
Image via Google+
I talked about local cafes the other day and have heard some great feedback from happy locals about Crate Specialty Coffee in Heidelberg Heights - I must visit one day soon and have also been meaning to drop into Sweet by Nature in West Heidelberg as I've eaten a number of their cakes...I'll be happy when I'm feeling better as I think I need to return to exercise!  A special shout out to my trainer Nikki Ellis and the gang at Cinch PT in Macleod, who I've missed seeing since returning from overseas - I'll be back next term with a vengeance.

No comments:

Post a Comment