Monday, August 22, 2016

Return to Oz

It's been a while...Mr Rosanna and I got back from Singapore and Malaysia in the early hours of yesterday after three weeks spent experiencing the tropical heat of Asia - and boy was it hot!  And yes, we had lots of adventures while we were overseas -  both good and bad - which I will go in to at some later stage (probably in 2 - 3 parts) suffice to say that it's always great to return home - there is no place like it and you always have a greater appreciation for where you live when you have something to compare it with.  It was a lovely surprise to find out that Melbourne was once again crowned the world's most liveable city, while we were away.
Roald Dahl Day image via fedsquare.com
A few quick things to mention today - the Melbourne Writers Festival opens this Thursday and I love that they're having a special Roald Dahl Day at Federation Square on 4 September as part of this event.  Son number two was dying to see the movie The BFG while we were away and also bought a copy of the book.  The A1 Darebin Art Salon at Bundoora Homestead Art Centre also starts this week and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what's on show by local artists in the north-east - all pieces in the show will be no larger than A1 in size.
The BFG movie image via Wikipedia
Tickets are still available to my first Bold Thinking Series public lecture for La Trobe University 'Is gambling a bigger threat to sport than drugs?' which I think will be a fascinating topic given Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia, and on the back of the Rio Olympics - I'm looking forward to hearing what the speakers have to say - there is also a live feed if you can't attend in person.
A1 Darebin Art Salon montage image via Bundoora Homestead Art Centre
Finally, I'm loving seeing blossom on the trees and the sun coming out from behind the clouds - Spring is around the corner and I'm glad that the dark days and nights will soon be gone.  Melbourne Spring Fashion Week also opens this week - while in Malaysia, we managed to catch one of the very glamorous runway shows for KL Fashion Week, which was a big (and loud!) event.  Locally, the Eaglemont Village 2016 Spring Fair is being held this Saturday and I'd love to take my children to this if the weather stays dry.  I'm glad to be home!
Image via Eaglemont Village

No comments:

Post a Comment