Monday, July 11, 2016

Running up that hill

My two best friends are Greek and Italian and I've been wanting to visit the Hellenic Museum in William Street for a while now, especially since finding out photographer Bill Henson had been commissioned by the museum to take photographs of their Benaki collection.
Bill Henson photograph - Oneroi at the Hellenic Museum
I finally made it there on Sunday.  The museum is actually the former Royal Mint building complete with safe and well worth a visit just for the building itself.  My girlfriends and I really enjoyed it - particularly the jewellery and costumes downstairs along with Henson's permanent 'Oneroi' photographic installation housed upstairs in a darkly lit room.  It was also interesting reading about the Greek diaspora since Victorian/gold rush era times as much as there were bigger waves in the 1950s and '60s migrating here.  We're intending on going back in the summer when the pop up cafe and Greek outdoor movies are held in the courtyard behind the museum.
Roof detail - Hellenic Museum
Speaking of diaspora, while I'm not reading much besides the newspapers and work-related documents at the moment, the Eltham Bookstore has had book launches for Ruins (written by Melbourne-based Sri Lankan author Rajith Savanadasa) and this week, A Chinese Affair by Isabelle Li, which would be great to go to if you have a Chinese background like me or are interested in Chinese Australian writers.

A number of random things to mention today.  While I was out on the road, I noticed another new cafe called Hoppa & Joe about to open in Fairfield on a corner block on Heidelberg Road, which will be a good thing for the area.  Open House Melbourne bookings also start this week for Willsmere in Kew if you've ever had a fascination about the buildings, which have not previously been open for the annual Open House Melbourne event.

Elk Accessories in Preston is holding its big garage sale this week if you're wanting to splurge while prices are low - I always think sale time is a great time to start stocking up on Christmas and other presents!  The Ivanhoe Makers Market is on this Saturday and I particularly love the little succulent pots that my friend ceramic artist Lene Kuhl-Jakobsen has made.  I think they'd be a lovely thing to have on your desk or kitchen bench.
Finally, it's Wuthering Heights Day this Saturday in Melbourne where not hundreds, but thousands, of Kate Bush fans and lookalikes will emulate her eponymous dance to this song.  I've shown my boys some of her early film clips like Babushka and I've liked a lot of her later songs as well, and the beautiful duet 'Don't Give Up' she did a number of years ago with Peter Gabriel.

No comments:

Post a Comment