Monday, July 18, 2016

Local Profile - Julie Walker

I met Julie at my recent writing skills workshop for artists at Hatch Contemporary Art Space in Ivanhoe as she was one of the smiling faces in the crowd who I managed to have a chat with before and after my talk.  I love that her work is both a bit vintage-inspired and sustainable.  She's also a student at NCAT, which I've previously mentioned on my blog as well as a committee member of female artist group Thou Art Mum.  It's been fascinating to find out more about the local artists who live or work in Banyule.  Read on for more about Julie or Fickle Nellie as she is also known...
Name: Julie Walker
Occupation: Artist (also trading as Fickle Nellie)
Lives/works:  Greensborough
How long have you lived/worked here?  Lived – 10 years, self-employed – 5 yrs
Describe yourself/what you do:
Whilst predominantly working as a mosaic artist, I also enjoy creating one of a kind pieces of jewellery and mixed media art.
As I am a great believer in sustainability the use of vintage china and rare vintage materials provides an opportunity to up-cycle materials in my work, combining the old with the new and giving these objects a new lease of life.

I find inspiration from vibrant colours, unique patterns and tactile materials, especially those contained in vintage and retro objects.  Therefore, texture, shape and pattern are commonly incorporated in my designs.

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne’s north-east:
I enjoy the open spaces and fresh air while also living within close proximity to both the city and country.  The north-east offers a variety of inviting, intimate cafes and an active, inspiring  arts culture.

For more information:  
https://www.facebook.com/Fickle-Nellie-667032809984158/
https://www.instagram.com/ficklenellie/
www.etsy.com/shop/ficklenellie

No comments:

Post a Comment