Friday, April 8, 2016

Local Profile - Jessica Velasquez

I discovered Jessica not that long ago after spotting some of the beautiful things she sells in her online gallery.  It's been lovely to meet, in the virtual world, a fellow aesthete with a a sophisticated eye who also has a love of art and the exotic.  You can also find out more about the art world on Jessica's website blog, including the upcoming Noah Taylor exhibition at the Lindberg Galleries in Collingwood.  Read on for more about Jessica...
Name:  Jessica Velasquez
Occupation: Director/founder of CANVAS & CO.
Lives/works: Montmorency
How long have you lived/worked here?:
I moved to Monty a year ago with my family but I have fond memories from my teens, catching the nightrider with a dear friend back to Eltham after many a night of dancing in the city.  Relaxing at Montsalvat and dreaming of a future full of creative passion.

Describe yourself/what you do:
I started CANVAS & CO. after managing high-end contemporary galleries in Armadale. It’s a business that gives me the freedom to take on interesting creative projects that cross my path.  Picture hanging, curating, graphic design for galleries, mentoring emerging artists, art fairs, art consulting.  I profile new up-coming art events and exciting new exhibitions and artists.  I also collect art and objects to sell on my online gallery ‘The New Collection’.
Image via CANVAS & CO.
One of my more recent and interesting projects was at Montsalvat creating a digital archive of the personal journals of Justus Jorgenson. There’s some juicy stories in those little treasures!
Image via CANVAS & CO.
Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne’s north-east:
The trees, the fresh air and the skinks.  A breath of fresh air at the end of a busy work day is incredibly rejuvenating.  The skinks are like old family friends.  We’re always happy to see them.

For more information:
www.canvasandco.com.au
info@canvasandco.com.au
www.facebook.com/canvasandco4u/
https://twitter.com/CANVASANDCO4U

No comments:

Post a Comment