Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Come Gather

It's the name of the next exhibition opening at Ivanhoe's Hatch Contemporary Arts Space or 'Nhalinggu Bagung' - celebrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art and culture. The official opening is tomorrow night from 6 - 8 pm with the exhibition to be opened by Wurundjeri Elder Aunty Dianne Kerr (conducting Welcome to Country) and Councillor Craig Langdon, Mayor of Banyule.  There will also be a guest speaker and other performers at the event and be warned, the last opening I went to was so popular I nearly found myself standing in the street!
Image via www.banyule.vic.gov.au
The exhibition runs from 21 April to 4 June and there will also be a number of associated public events including Artists' Talk and Tours, Aboriginal Issues lecture and National Sorry Day Smoking Ceremony and Flag Raising.  A number of my friends love Aboriginal art and I was lucky enough to visit the Papunya Tula Artists gallery in Alice Springs many years ago, which sells some of the most beautiful works I've ever seen.
Image via Public Galleries Association of Victoria (PGAV)
Speaking of art, I dropped in briefly to Bundoora Homestead Art Centre yesterday to have a cup of tea with the Gallery Manager Ella Hinkley, and along with Curator Claire Watson, both women are kicking goals.  The centre is closed on Mondays but I got a sneak peek of some of the more interactive works that are currently on display including textile weaving and finding lucky gold nuggets that are presently scattered around the space for people to find.  Lots of fun!  The homestead is one of those hidden gems in Bundoora, which is undergoing rapid expansion given the amount of development in the area.  It's been wonderful to have ongoing associations with both local creative spaces.
Image via Bonsai Farm
On a random note, I've only recently discovered the Bonsai Farm at 67 Church Street in Hawthorn and wish I'd known about it before now.  One of my sisters and her partner lived in Japan for over 4 years so as an engagement present, I bought them a bonsai tree which I had delivered to their front door as a surprise.  If you can't be amongst the trees or have a view of one from your desk, then bringing one indoors in a lovely idea - it's a study in stillness and tranquility in a time-poor era where most of us are always busy.  Needless to say, I am looking forward to the long weekend ahead as I'm sure you are as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment