Thursday, March 10, 2016

Trip-hop

I was volunteering yesterday at Heide Museum of Modern Art in Bulleen.  I've been volunteering in Visitor Services for almost a year - they rely heavily on their 200+ volunteer contingent but it was the first time since I've been there where they had to close galleries due to lack of staff.  Heide I (the original farmhouse) was closed in the morning while Heide II (the modernist building) closed in the afternoon which meant I was rotating just between the two buildings yesterday - Heide II and the Central Galleries (or Heide III).  There are two volunteer intakes per year with an Information Night followed by a group interview if you are interested.
Dancing Umbrella Exhibition images above and below via Heide
I've found it a really rewarding experience having met a whole community of like-minded people - many of whom are practising artists or similar to me - just have a love of modern art.  Once you've been there a certain period of time, you also qualify for discount in the Heide Store and Cafe Vue as well as Heide Membership.
Dancing Umbrellas has opened in Heide III and it's pretty trippy!  There are 19 contemporary Australian artists who are all involved in this exhibition, which celebrates light and movement.  I was having a little giggle to myself when I went in because I felt more like a security person at a nightclub given the relative darkness, video installations set to music, electric mandalas, flashing lights and other light projections.  It's one of the more truly modern exhibitions I've witnessed in the past year - very interactive, experiential and more edgy in its style and format.
#straponpaintings image via Heide
There's also a more interactive #StrapOnPaintings exhibition by Sarah CrowEST on in the adjacent Project Gallery space where you're invited to try on Belgian linen aprons and pebble head masks - I was also highly entertained watching some of yesterday's gallery-goers take selfies of each other all kitted out - it's a lot of fun.

Heide is actually holding a free Pop Up Cinema event in Paper Planes this Sunday, which my boys loved watching given my eldest is right into making paper planes at the moment.  It's a long weekend and the Diamond Valley Railway Annual Community Night Run is also on this Sunday 13 March while out in St Andrews, you'll find the new Wadambuk Makers Market at the St Andrews Community Centre being held on Saturday 12 March.

No comments:

Post a Comment