Thursday, March 3, 2016

Festival fever

I think we're having a bit of an Indian summer at the moment, which is just as well given festival season is upon us.  March has always been my favourite month for outdoor events.  The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival starts tomorrow and a special focus this year has been the Urban Dairy - given I'm a lover of all things dairy then that would be the one for me.  Closer to home Bulleen Art and Garden's Autumn Harvest Festival starts on Saturday and runs for 11 days - it's one of my favourite places to visit in the area.  The Hurstbridge Farmers Market is also on this Sunday and while I've not yet made it to one, I'd really like to take my kids to it so they can understand that not all food comes from the supermarket or grocery store.
Maker & Monger image via Melbourne Food & Wine Festival
The Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival celebrating its 20th year in 2016 starts next week and as part of its Cultural Program is 200 Years of Australian Fashion at the NGV, which I'm hoping to see.  I was involved with the first ever Melbourne Fashion Festival as PR was handled by my first ever employer in Ann Morrison from leading fashion PR agency AMPR.  I still love a bit of glamour and style at the best of times...
Project Series Kate Victoria Wearne image by VAMFF
Given I have primary school aged children, I'm always impressed by the amount of local fairs, fetes and other events which are staged at local schools and usually run by committed parent volunteers (and increasingly professional staff).  The St John's Primary School fete in Heidelberg is on this Saturday from 11 am - 4 pm while if music is more your thing, Dave Graney and his drummer wife Clare Moore, along with Dan Kelly, Ash Naylor, Moreland City Soul Revue and Kerri Simpson will all be performing at A Day on the Fairfield Green at Fairfield Primary School also on Saturday.  Primary school sure is a lot cooler than what I seem to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment