Thursday, March 31, 2016

A bird in the hand

Autumn is here and I've been enjoying seeing the beautiful leaves on the trees around the place at the moment.  It's the last day of the month and April is almost here!  Besides entertaining small children, I have actually been working on a business plan for a social entrepreneur the past couple of weeks.  I'm sworn to secrecy at the moment but it's a really exciting idea - something that no-one else is yet doing and one that's been right up my alley so I am hoping he gets his idea off the ground and up and running in the next 6 months as planned.  I love a social enterprise at the best of times as it seems like everyone wins.
The boys walking our adopted pet Pepper the dog
My Rosanna and I have also finally succumbed and bought our first family pet after the past few years of having our children complain that "we are the only family in the whole world that doesn't have a pet" and indeed, it has felt like that here in Rosanna.  I think 90% of the school community has bought a dog in the past couple of years, some of them have bought two!  And while we love our furry friends and have been happy to dog sit, I've not been quite ready to take one on.  Instead, probably unsurprisingly for people who know us, we've gone with a feathered friend - a white budgie my boys have named 'Cloud'.
Cloud the budgie
While I prefer birds in the wild rather than in cages, we are hoping to train Cloud to be a free range budgie in the house and keep him outside of the cage most days.  We'll see if we can make that happen.  We bought him from Nunawading Birds, which is a licenced wildlife dealer that also offers bird boarding.  I did love the beautiful Eclectus parrots who were also roaming free inside the shop but live for 50 years!  They also come with a hefty price tag of close to $2000 - definitely one for dedicated bird lovers.  Nunawading Birds is actually looking for a part-time person to help in the shop if you have a love (and knowledge) of birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment