Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Life-Changing Magic

Image via Fishpond.com.au
The Sustainable Living Festival is currently on and living sustainably has become a personal ethos of mine - I'm not a big fan of mindless consumerism.  Mr Rosanna and I spent a good part of the summer break de-cluttering and giving away a lot of old clothes, toys, books and other homewares.  We've reached the point where unless we have space for the item, we don't buy it.  I have also reached a point where if something comes in, then something else has to go.  I haven't yet read the best selling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo or her companion book Spark Joy but I'm not surprised that Kondo is from Japan - in many ways I think they've perfected the art of minimalism there given the country is prone to earthquakes and given its population.  Locally, there are a number of Declutter workshops being held; at the Watsonia Neighbourhood Centre on Thursday 25 February from 7 - 9 pm and Bellfield Community Hall in Heidelberg West on Wednesday 9 March from 7 - 9 pm.  The workshops are free but bookings are essential on 9490 4222 with priority being given to Banyule residents.
Image via visityarravalley.com.au
It's been another beautiful sunny day and I also wanted to mention the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie & Ice Creamery's annual Ice Cream Festival, which starts today and runs until 21 February - 144 flavours in 12 days sounds pretty good to me!  It's also a nice excuse to go out to the Yarra Valley for a drive.
Image via Theo's Fish Bar
Speaking of food, it was fantastic to see Theo's Fish Bar in Ivanhoe rated number 2 in the Melbourne's best fish and chips 2016 article in yesterday's Age Good Food, including best potato cake of them all.  They also do a healthier baked salmon pack as well as a gluten free batter.  I've never been there so will have to drop in one Friday night soon.  I was also out on the road yesterday seeing my client Avant Card and noticed what looks like a very upmarket/sophisticated looking cafe going into the vacant corner office building near Darebin Station on Heidelberg Road.  Given the amount of development currently happening in that part of the world, I think opening there is a very good idea - can't wait to see what it's like.

No comments:

Post a Comment