Thursday, December 3, 2015

A designer Christmas

I went for a long run this morning before it got too hot and sadly have not managed to get much running in since I did the 10km Run Melbourne over the winter - I do admire the hard core runners who get up early to run for a couple of hours on a daily or weekly basis.  I was lucky enough to sit next to Chris Wardlaw, the Head Athletics Coach for the Sydney 2000 Olympics at the recent Heide dinner who runs every Sunday morning and is now in his sixties, which was very inspiring.  It's also interesting cross training, which for me is something that has evolved rather than been deliberate, there is a difference between being boot camp fit, running fit and yoga fit and I still struggle with each of those disciplines at different times.  The most disciplined people build fitness into their lifestyle and make time for it no matter what their work schedule.
Elyros image via Book a Restaurant
I've also needed to exercise given the amount of meals out I've had in the lead up to Christmas - I still have a couple to go!  So where did Mr Rosanna and I go for lunch yesterday?  I took him to Elyros in Camberwell and we had a great time.  It's Cretan (from the isle of Crete in Greece) food and it was delicious.  The restaurant itself is opposite Sofia's on Burke Road (same side of the road) and housed in a beautiful former bank building on the corner which has also been beautifully fitted out.  We almost had the entire place to ourselves given it was a week day.  The food was delicious, particularly the cheese pie which I've not had before and the lamb, which was so soft it was falling off the bone.  The Cretans are also foragers so there were some lovely greens to be eaten and Mr R liked the Greek beer called Fix.  It was a brief respite in the middle of the day in the middle of what's been a crazy busy week, which is not over yet for me.  Elyros is actually run by the same people who have Epocha in Carlton - another Mediterranean-inspired place I've not yet visited.  I had heard Elyros could be a bit pricey, and indeed the drinks are if you order by the glass in particular, but we found the 3-course $45 per head shared plate menu pretty reasonable.  There is also a 4-course option for $58 if you want seafood but I think you'd have to have a pretty big stomach to eat that much.  A lovely touch was the Happy Birthday message in Greek to Mr Rosanna on his dessert plate.
Speaking of food, Nikki Ellis from Cinch PT  is involved with the Macleod Village Christmas Fair tomorrow night given all the action will be outside her door including food trucks (plus petting zoo, stall holders and Santa) which sound yum!  If you can make it, I think it will be a great local event.  The Coburg Night Market started last Friday and is also being held tomorrow night if you feel like venturing further afield.
Image via The Big Design Market
If you're more into art, design and culture - the Big Design Market opens tomorrow at the Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton - I've not yet made it to one but many of my friends go and buy their Christmas presents there.  It's not in the north east but local ceramic artist Lene Kuhl-Jacobsen will be selling her wares at the Scandinavian Christmas Bazaar at the Swedish Church, Toorak House on Saturday and Sunday while for modernists, the Robin Boyd Open Day titled: Boyd at the Edges is being held on Sunday 6 December.  Failing that, if you feel like hitting the road, it's the second week of the Nillumbik Artists Open Studios weekend which a number of my artist friends are involved with - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment