Thursday, November 19, 2015

Words and pictures

I was volunteering at Heide Museum of Modern Art in Bulleen yesterday and the new Alex Danks exhibition 'My Fellow Aus-tra-aliens' has just opened and I was quite enthralled by his body of work which is on display in the central galleries (all photos below).  My favourite space is the alcove to the right where some rather haunting and evocative Russian army music is playing and Danks' gouache on paper resembling Ukrainian cross stitch textile patterns (which in themselves have meaning) are on display.  My photos don't do the space justice but it was a beautiful way to begin my morning - I was indeed transported to another place and time.

It was a sunny day, which always brings out the visitors, and many of them found themselves laughing their heads off, like I did at the humorous word-play, double entendres and slogans Danks uses - I am a fan.  I never know who is going to turn up as a visitor at Heide - yesterday I found myself talking to an ex-CEO of a major bank here in Melbourne.  Concrete poet (and Melbourne University Architecture Lecturer) Alex Selenitsch has a text based exhibition currently showing in Heide II and there is also a Mitch Cairns show on in the Project Gallery.  The writer in me is loving all three exhibitions.  If you are visiting Heide, I would encourage you to wear closed toe shoes as snakes have already been spotted in the grounds given it's their natural habitat.

Speaking of Heide, there is a free garden talk being held this Saturday at 2 pm by Melbourne City Rooftop Honey at Heide called Plight of the Honeybees.  I've already seen some wild bees buzzing about my herbs which is a good thing and I'm hoping the blue tongue lizards come back to my garden - I've heard they like strawberries!  And while I'm not growing any strawberries this year, the annual Strawberry Fair at Rosanna Uniting Church in Arden Crescent is also on this Saturday from 9.30 am - 2 pm with white elephant stalls, crafts, books, toys, treasures, plants, cakes, morning tea, lunch and pancakes all on offer not to mention a magic show for the kids on at 10.45 am and 12.30 pm.  Enquiries on 9457 2596.

If the weather stays this warm and balmy, there is a Star Gazing Night presented by the Astronomical Society of Victoria being held on Friday night at Westerfolds Park as well as the Kew Christmas Night Market.  On Saturday, the Watsonia Motor Show Family Festival is being held along with the Clifton Hill Primary School Fair while on Sunday the Eltham Festival is on as well as The Colour Run at Flemington Racecourse.  I think it's only going to get busier from here on in....

No comments:

Post a Comment