Thursday, October 15, 2015

Express yourself

I've had a busy week again but not as manic as last week, which is good.  I went to the 2015 Banyule Award for Works on Paper on Tuesday night at Hatch Contemporary Art Space in Ivanhoe and it was fantastic.  It was so packed inside that people were spilling out into the street while the speeches were going on.  The winner was Simon Finn for his charcoal on paper work titled 'Steady State Invention' depicting an observation tower in the moments of devastation - a bit similar to Dorothy's house in Kansas in the Wizard of Oz if you like.  Many artists were inspired by the final frontier that is Space itself and my favourite was Bonnie Hanlon's work titled 'Star-scape #2' more for what it represents as well as the work itself - I've always been fascinated by the stars and Mr Rosanna and I have been lucky enough to see a shooting star together while sitting on the beach many years ago.

Images above via Lip Cafe
I've been out on the road today and met the interesting Melanie Miles from Hybrid Expression at Lip Cafe in Ivanhoe - it's always great to meet fellow local creative professionals and Melanie and her partner Joe Puntoriero do some beautiful work for local businesses.  I'm particularly interested in the digital space and lifestyle branding and have also been doing some work behind the scenes this year for two new online digital businesses, which have not yet launched - I'm always impressed by the ideas entrepreneurial people come up with.  I have also been inspired of late to start writing my own book, which Mr R has helped me flesh out in terms of ideas - I hope to turn that into a reality at some future point.
Image via Cassette Store Day
There's a lot on this weekend including International Cassette Tape Day this Saturday!  Like the humble vinyl record, cassette tapes are enjoying a bit of a retro-revival and I love the cassette tape music that features in the film Guardians of the Galaxy which is a great film if you get the chance to watch it - the soundtrack is pretty awesome.
Vikings image via Nordic Festival
While it's not exactly close, the Nordic Festival is being held in Warburton on Sunday and local artists Lene Kuhl Jakobsen and Karen Glahn are both selling their wares.  Speaking of Nordic, Joost Bakker and Magnus Nilsson are holding a special event at The School of Life on 24 November which celebrates Nilson's The Nordic Cookbook.  There's also a Spring Fling street festival being held in North & West Melbourne on Sunday as well as the Practically Green Festival at Edendale Farm in Eltham.  I'll be back tomorrow with a local profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment