Monday, September 7, 2015

Serenity Now

I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day weekend and while it is commercial like Valentine's Day, I do appreciate the sentiment behind both Mother's Day and Father's Day.  Parenting is a hard job - definitely the hardest 'job' I've ever had but also the most rewarding in ways that money can never measure.
Mr Rosanna is notoriously difficult to buy for so although the boys make him handmade cards and presents, I always like to give him something from me as well.  This year it came in the form of a handmade soap titled 'Serenity Now' from Jaclyn Roma Floral Design in Ivanhoe - a bit of a private joke between me and Mr Rosanna following a somewhat stressful interstate road trip we undertook a number of years ago, where this was our catch cry.  I also bought him the number one best selling The Mindfulness Colouring Book: Anti-Stress Art Therapy for Busy People from Andrews Bookshop in Ivanhoe- I like how it combines both mindfulness and art/creativity and it's perhaps something Mr R can do on screen-free Wednesdays which we've been trialling in our house the past month.  That's right, after school there are no screens whatsoever for the kids or for us until we go to bed and it's been a relatively easy thing to introduce into our household as well as making it a more calm, creative and resourceful one.
I did also swing by my friend Lene Kuhl Jakobsen's pop up shop Dan3K last week and bought Mr R a special piece of hers for his studio, which he has previously done for me one Mother's Day.  The shop was looking fantastic, even on a cold, grey day in Melbourne and I also got to meet the equally interesting Karen Glahn, who you will be hearing about shortly on my blog.
Dan3K - Lene Kuhl Jakobsen display
Dan3K - Karen Glahn display
Dan3K - Christina Jonsson display
I took Mr R out for brunch at Cafe 1932 yesterday with the boys - it's the old Metropole cafe located inside the Manchester Unity Building on the ground floor in the city.  The coffee's good - the food is OK but what Mr R and I loved most was being inside our favourite building in Melbourne - it is magnificent and the Art Deco detail inside is still amazing.  From there, we walked to ACMI to see the David Bowie Is exhibition, which was fantastic.  It was so busy, ticket entry was timed so people could go through in waves and boy, it was warm and packed inside downstairs.  My children looked hilarious with their headsets on but it makes for a very immersive and interactive experience - they couldn't work out how or why the commentary and music changed every time they moved to a different installation/part of the exhibition.  I loved it.
Manchester Unity Building lifts
I also loved the neighbouring (and free) Orry-Kelly: Dressing Hollywood costume exhibition (including his 3 Oscars!) at the gallery next door at ACMI although the boys preferred the other free interactive exhibition 'Screen Worlds'.  We finished our day having coffee and cake at the Brunetti City Square cafe outside in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment