Thursday, September 3, 2015

Boys and girls

While it's decidedly cool today, the native birds around here have come back in full force and I am loving the resident cockatoo and galah who are now visiting our bird feeder every day in our back yard.  Mr Cocky likes squawking at me if I need to top up the seed and starts staring at me until I do if I'm at my kitchen window looking out.  We have friends who live nearby in Viewbank and their resident cocky is so tame it's now following them into the house!
Speaking of which, Breakfast with the Birds at Pound Bend in Warrandyte is being held this Saturday from 8 am - 12 pm with Friends of Warrandyte Park and Parks Victoria.  There will be a 3.5km walk along the river track with morning tea provided.  Bookings are essential on 9840 9124 with the group limited to 20 people.  Over 90 different types of birds have been recorded there and there will be another Breakfast with the Birds event held in Banyule in late October as part of the Spring Outdoors program.
Blacksmith Doris 2014 image via Radiant Pavilion
While I'm on the topic of birds (heh heh!), the Blackmith Doris Open Day called 'To Doris We Go' at Coopers Settlement in Bundoora is also being held this Saturday 5 September from 10.30 am - 2.30 pm.  This event is part of Radiant Pavilion - the Melbourne Contemporary Jewellery and Object Trail being held this week until Sunday.  Blacksmith Doris is group of all female blacksmiths - blacksmithing in itself is a dying art in some respects so I think it's fantastic that the dream is being kept alive by some passionate women out there.

However, it's not all about the ladies this weekend given it's Father's Day on Sunday.  I always think books are a great idea, as well as living things and experiences as presents.  Locally, Andrew's Bookshop in Ivanhoe is a favourite spot as well as Bulleen Art & Garden if you have an arty Dad in your life like me.

Finally it's been a while, but I will have a new local profile up tomorrow - a timely one for Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment