Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

It's one of my favourite books from when I was a child and with all the new blooming and blossoming that I've started seeing around the place (along with the copious amount of weeds in my back yard!), it has reminded me of May Gibbs' series of stories in the The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie where the illustrations were just as fantastic as the actual words.
Image via Booktopia
I've been hearing the owls hooting at night this week and I have to say that I find our flora and fauna here in Australia all the more alluring as I get older, and more sentimental.  For Australian nature lovers like myself, there are a few things which have caught my eye along this theme.
Leila Jeffreys Prey image via Olsen Irwin
If I ever have the money, I'd absolutely love one of Leila Jeffreys' beautiful photographs of Australian birds, which are spectacular and full of character.  I also think some of the printed bird tea towels from Bonnie and Neil look amazing framed on a wall, which is something my sister-in-law has done at home.
Cocky 2 Pink image via Bonnie and Neil
I also love these gumnut and gum leaf laser cut timber trivets made by Buttonworks -  a family run business on the Mornington Peninsula and I've picked one up locally from the Heide Store in Bulleen.  I've previously bought a Banksia Scent Pot made by Anthony Hansen at the Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria  shop in Cranbourne, which is well worth a visit (just watch out for snakes in summer) if you are ever heading to the peninsula or have overseas visitors.
Image via Blackbird & Fox
Finally, I have just discovered these absolutely beautiful 100% Silk Crepe de Chine headscarves which are illustrated, printed and made in Sydney by local artist Edith Rewa.  She's about to stock up on some of her sold out styles which are available both from her online shop and the very cool Guild of Objects in North Melbourne.
Cocky Lady (Peach) headscarf by Edith Rewa

No comments:

Post a Comment