Thursday, August 20, 2015

A life worth living

Apparently, Melbourne is once again the world's most liveable city for the fourth year in a row.  It's not something I take for granted especially when contemplating other overseas countries - many of which are experiencing political, religious or economic strife or other turmoil like war, famine and disease.  And while I don't think we're perfect, especially when I think one of the measures of how successful we are as a country is how we treat the most vulnerable people in our society, I think we have much to be grateful for in this lucky country of ours.
Image via Mr. Hendricks Cafe
I was out today celebrating my best friend's birthday and while I've been pretty busy of late with work, it's always a good reminder to me that our friends and family really are the most important things in our life, and being able to spend time together is priceless.  Work will always be there, I'm not sure our relationships always will be if we don't nurture them.
Soft shelled crab burgers and Salmon breakfast dish at Mr Hendricks
We had brunch at the very groovy Mr. Hendricks in Whitehorse Road Balwyn - a hop, skip and jump away from my old high school where we did in fact have a teacher called Mr Hendricks, although the cafe is apparently named after the owner's dog and not my old teacher!  It was packed to the rafters inside and we had to wait out on the street for a few minutes and put our name on the waiting list for a table out the back in the long narrow courtyard which goes all the way up and back to the laneway.
Image via Welcome to Thornbury
It was glorious in the afternoon sunshine today and the coffee, food and service was excellent - I shall be back at some future stage.  Speaking of food, I did want to mention the lucky people of Northcote/Thornbury who have Melbourne's first permanent food truck park Welcome to Thornbury located at 520 High Street, Northcote in a former used car yard where a rotating selection of four to six food trucks will sell their food to hungry punters.  I was also reading somewhere that the next foodie hot spots were likely to be Brunswick, Preston (formerly known as DePreston) and, you guessed it, Thornbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment