Thursday, July 9, 2015

Gettin' Ziggy with it

Can I tell you how excited I am about the upcoming David Bowie is exhibition at ACMI - the Australian Centre of Moving Image?  The thin white duke has always been the epitome of art rock cool with me and the master of change throughout the decades.  The exhibition starts next Thursday 16 July and runs until 1 November - it's been a sell out show in London, Paris, Chicago and Berlin and I can't wait to see it.
David Bowie hero image via ACMI
Speaking of art, Abstraction the Heide Collection started last Saturday and runs until 11 October at Heide Museum of Modern Art in Bulleen and showcases work from the 1930s to the 1990s in the Heide Collection.  Close by, the biennial Manningham Victorian Ceramic Art Award 2015 opens on Wednesday 15 July and runs until Saturday 29 August at the Manningham Art Gallery in the MC2 building on Doncaster Road in Doncaster.  My friend and local ceramic artist Lene Kuhl-Jakobsen is a participant in this year's event.  While I'm on the topic of ceramics, she's not local but I also love the organic work of Bridget Bodenham and have been eyeing off her pieces which are for sale from the Heide Store at Heide Museum of Modern Art.
Image via niteart.com.au
While there will be no White Night event this year in Melbourne, there will be Nite Art across Melbourne held from 6 pm to late on Thursday 23 July featuring three precincts, 30 arts sites and 75+ artists.  We live in a great artistic city and I'm really glad there are events like these founded and staged by some of the world's most imaginative and creative minds.  In the depths of winter, it warms my heart and feeds the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment