Monday, July 6, 2015

Awake

It sure is cold at the moment - I think I spent last Friday in shock at how cold it actually was - it just makes you want to hibernate indoors!  Luckily, there is a lot going on at the moment to keep you amused.
Image via Yarra City Arts
The third annual Leaps and Bounds Music Festival started on 3 July and runs until 19 July in the City of Yarra and is presented by 3PBS.  There are some great gigs on at different venues in the north-east including Collingwood, Fitzroy and Richmond.  PBS is one of my favourite radio stations and if I ever have my rooftop disco party, aside from my little sister Cat from Architecture of Audio, Edd Fisher from Tomorrow Land would be my resident DJ.
Tomorrow Land image via pbsfm.org.au
Heide Museum of Modern Art in Bulleen also has a heap of things going on including Grandparents Day: Be your own superhero this Wednesday to its Family Day: Farmyard Animals this Sunday 12 July.  You can find out more about what's on at Heide here.  
The Johnston Collection image via Wikipedia
Image via Rona Green blog
I've always wanted to visit The Johnston Collection - the independent not-for-profit museum in East Melbourne and I think milliner Richard Nylon's 'Feathering the Nest' exhibition which starts tomorrow and runs until 20 October would be great to see.  Speaking of exhibitions, I've long been an admirer of local artist Rona Green's quirky work and her next show 'Chancing Your Arm' runs from 7 - 26 July at the Australian Galleries in Collingwood with the official opening tomorrow night from 6 - 8 pm.  There are some more exciting art events taking place this month which I'll talk about later this week.
Image via Cinema Nova
It was the inaugural International Day of Yoga on 21 June this year coinciding with the Summer Solstice and if you are a yoga fan like me you may be interested in 'Awake: the story of Yogananda' which is currently showing at Cinema Nova in Carlton until 16 July.
Paladaar Thai menu above
Finally, I celebrated my birthday on Saturday and Mr R took me to one of my favourite local places, Paladaar Thai in Alphington.  It's a lot lighter and brighter inside following a recent paint job (I did prefer the ambience of it being more dark and moody) but the food is still excellent.  I love the little snail on the menu which symbolises non-meat items and our meal (and attentive service) was excellent.  They also have a fireplace (although strangely enough this wasn't on despite it being freezing cold outside) in the renovated Art Deco former bank building just near Alphington train station.  It's well worth a visit if you like Thai food.

No comments:

Post a Comment