Monday, June 1, 2015

Southern Lights

Welcome to winter.  I have to say that at least the sun is out and that's got to count for something.  It was pretty chilly doing bootcamp outside this morning although I think I can cope with winter when the sun is shining and there are glimpses of blue sky.  It's when it's dark and wet that makes me feel more miserable.
The Light in Winter image via Fed Square
The Light in Winter at Fed Square officially starts today and 2015 is actually the International Year of Light - in Australia this is a mix of business, education, arts and science coming together to celebrate all things 'light'.  The Light in Winter festival includes the world premiere of Molecule of Light - a laser based installation of light, which I think would be pretty awesome to see.
Winter Solstice Festival image via Montsalvat
The festival leads up to the Winter Solstice Celebration on the weekend of Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 June, which will be celebrated not only at Fed Square but also locally with bonfires at Montsalvat in Eltham and the Collingwood Children's Farm in Abbotsford.
Aurora Borealis and Australia poster image via Wikipedia
When I was growing up, I would often hear about the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) and I also watched a recent documentary about them featuring Joanna Lumley and her journey to Norway.  Not as much is written about the Southern Lights (Aurora Australis) in this part of the world although the recent event in March was meant to be pretty dazzling.

Wishing you love and light over the next three months!  I'll be happy to see the return of Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment