Friday, June 19, 2015

A new sensation

Image via Lido Cinemas
Happy Friday people - I hope you've all had a better week than me.  I'm pleased to say I'm feeling a lot better although still sounding pretty rough.  There are just a couple of things I wanted to mention today.  The new Lido Cinema in Hawthorn is opening next week on Thursday and I think it will be a great addition to the local movie scene.  Mr Rosanna and I love going to both the Westgarth and Rivoli Cinemas in Northcote and Camberwell and I'm looking forward to checking out the Lido in due course - seeing some  Chinese Cinema sounds like a great thing to do over the winter months while the rooftop cinema sounds fantastic for summer.
Melinda Harper, Untitled 2003, oil on canvas, 183 x 152.4cm, Aquired 2004 TarraWarra Museum of Art Collection image via Heide Museum of Modern Art
Colour Sensation: The Works of Melinda Harper at Heide Museum of Contemporary Art in Bulleen also opens on Sunday 27 June and I think it will be a fabulous exhibition to see.  Harper's works are known for their colour and optical vibrancy and the exhibition will showcase her oeuvre of abstract works developed over three decades.
Sorbet resin range image via Dinosaur Designs
I love the geometric style of her works, which often include blocks, stripes, circles, triangles or variants of these plus the amazing colours - there's nothing like a bit of colour when the weather is cold and dark outside.  I also think the related morning tea event 'A Designer and an Artist' on Thursday 27 August from 10 - 11.30am with both Melinda Harper and Liane Rossler - co-founder and former designer and director of Dinosaur Designs will be a great event.  I've been lucky enough to have been given a couple of Dinosaur Designs pieces by my best friends which are highly treasured and little pieces of art in themselves.  Bookings on 9850 1500 - Adults $22, Member/Concession $18 (includes admission and morning tea).

Speaking of outside, both the Fairfield and Carlton Farmers Markets are on tomorrow if you're wanting to stock up on ingredients for soups, casseroles and other winter fare.  Stay warm and healthy!

Nb. Miss Rosanna is a Visitor Services volunteer at Heide Museum of Modern Art

No comments:

Post a Comment