Thursday, April 9, 2015

Comfort food

It's been a shock to the system returning to cooler weather and darker days after Easter.  I think Mr Rosanna and I actually ate our way through most of Easter in Bendigo and since returning home.  I've actually found myself eating Chinese food quite a bit of late, probably not that surprising given my background but it's also my kind of comfort food.  When we were in Bendigo, we got takeaway from House of Khong and since returning to Melbourne, Mr R and I also went and had dinner at Tann Ivanhoe where we've now been a number of times.  They do great dumplings and this time we also sampled some of their soups and curries - perfect for a cold night.
Image via Benjamin's Kitchen
I mentioned Benjamin's Kitchen on Heidelberg Road a while ago on my blog which has now been open for a while and had it's first review in the Age Good Food under $30 section as well as Broadsheet.  I'm delighted to say it's what the writer calls 'neighbourhood Chinese' but probably a bit different from the Chinese takeaway of old being more pan-Asian than Cantonese.  If you get a chance to visit, don't forget to drop into the Heidelberg Road Vintage Bazaar a few doors up, which has been there a number of years.  At one stage, it looked like it was going to close but I'm pleased to see it's still open and hopefully having a good place to eat nearby will draw more people in.
Image via Nerina Lascelles blog
If you're lucky enough to go for a drive this coming weekend, artist Nerina Lascelles has her Karisome (meaning 'Transience') exhibition opening tomorrow night at Yering Station in Yarra Glen.  It runs until 17 May and entry is free.  Farmers markets on over the weekend include Coburg, Collingwood and Eltham for those of you who are more inclined to cook your own meal rather than buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment