Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Less but better

This is the basic premise for the New York Times bestseller Essentialism by Greg McKeown, which I am half way through reading and it's something I'd like to adopt as my own mantra for this year.  It's given me a lot to think about and use in terms of how I approach all that I do (or don't) and hopefully something that I can actually incorporate into the way I live my life.  The new year always has me in a reflective mood given it's the longest stretch of time I usually have to think (uninterrupted) more deeply about things - Essentialism actually encourages us to pause on a regular basis prior to committing and be highly selective about what it is that we actually choose to do.
Image via Tiny Buddha blog
The closest I ever got to studying philosophy was in Media Ethics, while doing my undergraduate degree at RMIT, although the only thing I can remember from all those years ago was the irrepressible John Safran and his beautiful Bolivian girlfriend being in my tutorial (and yes, he was the unique character that he is even back then).  As I've got older and started to reflect more on my life and how I live it, I've become more interested in both philosophy and meditation.
Image: 'Or Fall Again', 2014
Del Kathryn Barton
Synthetic polymer paint and gouache on polyester canvas via The School of Life Melbourne
With this in mind, I did want to mention The School of Life, which opened last year in Melbourne, and is based on English philosopher Alain de Botton's sister school in London.  On Thursday 19 February there'll be a special event - Del Kathryn Barton & John Armstrong: In Conversation which I think would be a great one to go to.  Del Kathryn Barton is an Archibald Prize winning artist and John Armstrong is the 'Philosopher-in-Chief' from The School of Life London.  I think it would make for a fascinating night - the event is being held at the National Gallery of Victoria and tickets (now on sale) are $50.
Banner image via Mindfulness Meditation
I get daily quotes from Tiny Buddha and it's a nice reminder each day about being happy living in the present. Locally I've also discovered Mindfulness Meditation in Livingstone Street Ivanhoe who actually have an 8 week course that starts on 5 February.

No comments:

Post a Comment