Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Be the change

One of the best mottoes I have ever seen and remembered is 'Remember to Breathe' - on the back of a yoga teacher's car in Byron Bay, which has stayed with me all these years later.  As the year is drawing to a close and I have started to slow down, it's been great to have some time to think and reflect on the year that's been.

It took me a long time (and a considerable amount of mistakes both personal and professional) to learn that my external world reflects my internal state and that no matter what happens in life, we always have a choice whether we realise it or not.  Mr Rosanna also has another great saying 'You are the sum of your decisions' even when we choose not to do something, it is still making a decision.
Image via Amazon
I have become better at saying no as I've got older and this book has caught my eye 'Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less' by Greg McKeown, which was a 2014 New York Times best seller.  Essentialism being a systematic discipline for learning what is absolutely essential then eliminating everything that is not, so we can make the highest possible contribution towards the things that really matter.  Sounds pretty lofty, but it has me quite intrigued - McKeown has taught at some of the leading companies in the world including Apple, Google, Facebook and Twitter.

I love that we can give ourselves the opportunity to change for the better not only at the start of every new year, but at any point in time, if we so choose.  Just like lifelong learning, I hope that I am always open to change and reinvention as part of my own personal evolution towards wisdom and maturity.  And on that philosophical note, I do love this quote from Gandhi which is food for thought for next year.  It's never too late.

"Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as being able to remake ourselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment