Friday, October 3, 2014

Local Profile - Daniela Piccione

They say that languages and music are not only good for the soul, but also good for the brain whether you are young or old, and one of my regrets is not continuing my French right up until I finished high school.  I also did an Italian course after visiting Italy instead of before I went but no matter what your age or stage of life, I think learning a language is a beautiful thing and to teach it, even more so.  I met Daniela at another school function where we both put our hands up as parent helpers - maybe it was meant to be as the food we happened to be distributing that day was pizza!  Read here for more about Daniela or Danie as I know her.
Business  Name: Bella Lingua – Italian 4 Kids
Founder: Daniela Piccione
Occupation: Italian Teacher
Works: Ivanhoe Livingstone Community Centre, Ivanhoe Library & Diamond Valley Library
How long have you worked here? 12 weeks
Describe yourself/what you do:
I teach Italian to toddlers, pre-schoolers, primary schoolers and adults.  I volunteered to do Italian story time at the Diamond Valley Library in Feb 2012, geared towards pre-schoolers, during their Italian week, for a 1-hour session.  I learnt there was an interest in the Italian language for kids within mixed cultural families who wanted their children to learn Italian, as they were no longer using it in their home.  I then worked on a 2-year program that year and decided to begin marketing it in 2014.

This year has been absolutely fantastic in the response of parents wanting to enrol into the Italian classes that I now have extended my lessons to primary school children, and now adults.

I teach pre-schoolers on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the Ivanhoe Livingstone Learning Centre (ILLC).  Adult classes are also held at the ILLC on Wednesday nights 7.30pm-9pm.  I’ve decided to continue the Italian story time at both libraries.  The Diamond Valley Library every 1st Friday of the month and Ivanhoe Library every 3rd Thursday of the month.

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne’s north-east:
The parents and grandparents that bring their children to the classes are just as passionate as I am about the Italian language, which makes me love my job even more. I love hearing the beautiful accent from children so young, and it’ll be really exciting to see where this will take them in the future.

For more information:
Website: www.bellalingua.com.au
Facebook: www.facebook/Italian4kids
Email: Daniela@bellalingua.com.au or info@bellalingua.com.au
Mobile: 0422 416 147
Bookings: trybooking.com

No comments:

Post a Comment