Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Northside

Before I got married and had children, I spent a large part of my late teens and early twenties frequenting the shops, bars and cafes of Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.  In my heart of hearts I will always be a north of the Yarra girl - maybe because I was born on this side of town but maybe just because I find the north more meaningful to me.  I have to be careful here because I have a heap of friends who have lived anywhere from South Yarra/Prahran/St Kilda/Elwood out to Black Rock and Beaumaris, which is always a big trek across town!
Image via Wikipedia
I did want to mention that the book 'Brunswick Street - Art and Revolution' by Anne Rittman is being launched this Sunday 5 October at the Royal Derby Hotel at 446 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.  It's the story of Brunswick Street from the 1970s, which should hopefully mention one of our locals - ceramicist Lene Kuhl Jakobsen from her early years at Pigtale Pottery.  There will also be a special fundraising auction at this event of affordable art.  The book viewing and launch is at 11 am while the auction will take place from 3 - 5 pm.  I love the Facebook page cover image taken by Kerry Allen at the Last Laugh theatre!

I also wanted to mention that if you're after some Spring fashion, then Elk currently has its online garage sale on until tomorrow - choose carefully if you are buying as there are no exchanges or refunds given the heavy discounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment