Thursday, August 7, 2014

Style is eternal

So said the fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent and I am hoping to see the movie that's currently out about him.  He's renowned for the Le Smoking tuxedo suit he designed for women amongst other things, and saw out his twilight years in Morocco.  Sigh...I also saw the Coco before Chanel movie with Audrey Tatou a number of years ago and to me, Coco Chanel will always be my ultimate fashion hero - a woman who revolutionised fashion as we know it and still epitomises elegance and style to this day.
Movie image via Wikipedia
Also out at the moment as part of the Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) is the movie Advanced Style (based on the blog and book) highlighting 60+ New Yorkers who have maintained incredible style well into their twilight years.  I feel quite strongly about ageism in the media and workforce so it's fantastic to see older people represented in a more relevant and contemporary context.
Book image via Advanced Style blog
Other movies about fashion worth seeing include The September Issue featuring Vogue Fashion Editor Anna Wintour and Creative Director Grace Coddington (who in herself has led a fascinating life).  And although I've yet to see it, I think The Eye Has to Travel about former Harper's Bazaar Editor Diana Vreeland would also be great to see.
Book image via Amazon
A quick round up of weekend events - the Fine Design Market is on this Sunday in Manningham as well as the Robin Boyd AIA Awards Program 2014 public open day.  And while I'm on the topic of design and architecture, I also discovered Architours the other day - I'd love to do the CBD Art Deco to Moderne tour or even the Eaglemont Tour one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment