Thursday, August 21, 2014

Live happily and die majestically

A light has gone out in my life.  BKS Iyengar or Guruji - the founder of modern yoga and the style of yoga I have practised for 20 years - passed away yesterday aged 95 years.  Like most people, I have had my fair share of dark moments and stressful times in life but one of the things that has allowed me to emerge on the other side of that has been my yoga practice.  Besides 'Light on Yoga' (considered to be the bible of yoga) and many other books, BKS Iyengar also wrote a book about his life called 'Light on Life' which is well worth reading if you have an interest in yoga.  Besides yoga, I have found Buddhism to be both meaningful and practical in terms of applying it to my everyday life, thinking and behaviour, and in many ways I find it more of a philosophy than a religion.
Image via Amazon
I've also found books by Australian writer Stephanie Dowrick particularly helpful in the past.  At the end of the day, I think developing an understanding and insight into your own self and behaviour and to be able to think for yourself and find your own truths in life is one of our greatest powers as fully functioning adults.  I also think that's why meditation is such a powerful tool - to be able to master your own mind and to be peaceful and happy is definitely a worthy aim for me.
Image via Amazon
On a brighter note, I did want to quickly mention that both the Made'nThornbury and Monty Farmers Markets are on this coming weekend and for ceramic lovers out there like me, the Skepsi@Montsalvat 'Quiet Conversations' exhibition also opened last week in Eltham showcasing the work of 56 artists from now until the end of August.
Image via Montsalvat website

No comments:

Post a Comment