Friday, April 4, 2014

Hello darkness my old friend

I am a little slow off the mark today but hoping some of you see this before the coming weekend!  I'll be back next week with some school holiday ideas for the kids which centre more around arts and culture.  I had the pleasure of catching up with the extremely entertaining and very gorgeous Rina Chia from Take 2 Markets today at The Dish cafe in Eaglemont Village which is a sleepy little shopping strip - I always feel like I've stepped back into a different era when I visit.  There's a newer cafe called Eagle Nest cafe which is more modern and run by local Rebecca Martin also in the village  so I will have to give it a try next time I'm there.  There's an interesting looking store next door to it which sells Star Wars merchandise and other toys for boys and it was packed to the rafters.  The butcher Eaglemont Meats is also a good place to buy high quality meat - my brother and sister-in-law shop there as it's closer than Jonathons in Collingwood.
Eagle Hawk cafe image via www.beanhunter.com
My dad is a musician amongst other things and despite the fact that he's Chinese, he's very much into early 60s pop and 70s folk music so I grew up listening to the likes of Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Diamond and John Denver just to name a few.  I love the fact that there's a 5-piece band who've called themselves The Sounds of Silent as a play on words - they'll be performing music to accompany a a special 100 year anniversary screening of Charlie Chaplin's first ever silent movie 'The Circus' at The Thornbury Theatre tomorrow night.
Image via The Thornbury Theatre
It's beautiful outdoors at the moment and there is a Nature Play afternoon for the kids at the Andrew Yandell Reserve in Greensborough on Sunday from 1 - 4 pm.  The reserve is also a breeding ground for the Eltham Copper Butterfly.  Children can learn how to tie knots, make bush shelters, weave with natural materials or play in the mud - sounds like fun! It is a free event but bookings are essential.

Speaking of plants, Banyule Council actually has an indigenous Native Plant Offer where residents are entitled to a 'buy one get one free' offer for up to 10 indigenous plants with one voucher per household per year.  Contact the council's Biodiversity Education Officer for more on 9490 4222 or email: kate.grinter@banyule.vic.gov.au

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment