Thursday, April 17, 2014

Go with the slow

When I was young, I was in such a rush to be a grown up and live what I thought was a glamorous and sophisticated life in the fast lane and for a while I did do that in my twenties - a decade which felt at the time like it would never end.  Now that I'm older, I've started to appreciate just living in the moment and with kids, I've been forced to do that anyway as they have very immediate needs!  There's a lot to be said for the power of slowing down when we lead crazy busy lives, always connected and never hitting the off button.  I've been really happy to slow down and live a lot more simply, closer to nature and following my own path in life wherever it happens to takes me.  I'm definitely a lot more happy and it's the simple things in life that I've come to realise are the best.
Image via www.killyourdarlings.com
I'm a fan of Slow Melbourne, slow food and slow fashion (sustainable and vintage fashion) these days so have been watching with amusement the big crowds for the newly opened H&M and Emporium Melbourne retail stores.  I am obviously not their demographic and I feel for one of my past employers Daimaru - the first Japanese department store which came to Melbourne in the early 1990s - I think they were ahead of their time.  The state of retailing here has become increasing global and the internet continues to revolutionise a number of different industries including my own.  Branding, as a marketer has always been a big thing, but personal branding in this 'selfie' age seems to be the in thing at the moment.

With that in mind, I did want to mention the next Red Shoes women's networking event taking place next Wednesday 23 April on Personal and Professional Image.  There will be a styling presentation by Suzanne Dekyvere - an image consultant as well as one on personal branding by Lisa Cutler - an experienced coach, speaker and trainer.  I am having a little break next week so won't be attending but did want to mention that it will be me presenting at the next event on Social Media and Branding in June!  I will let you know more about that closer to the time.

Wishing you all a Happy Easter - I'll be back after the Anzac Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment