Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mid Century and Moderne

It's no secret that I love Art Deco and Art Moderne - one day I hope to live in a house from that era but for now there's always dreaming.  It's nice to know there are a number of towns both here and overseas that celebrate Art Deco including Leeton in NSW, Napier in New Zealand, Miami in the US and Shanghai will be hosting the World Congress in 2015.  I've had the pleasure of meeting Robin Grow from the ADMS when he took me on a tour of The Centre Ivanhoe one year where the 360 degree views from the tower were pretty amazing.
Burnham Beeches image via Wikipedia
I was excited to read in The Age Epicure today that Burnham Beeches in the Dandenongs, which has been taken over by Vue de Monde's Shannon Bennett, is set to open in mid-April with the Burnham Bakery (supplying bread to all Vue businesses and visitors) and Piggery Cafe (the property's former pigsty!).  Stage two will see an onsite brewery and steakhouse by late 2015 and stage three will turn the spectacular Art Moderne mansion into a hotel by 2018.  I can't wait to go visit!  If you're not a meat lover, it's nice to know that the property also has a 2.4 hectare garden which supplies 40% of Vue's vegetables, herbs and flowers.
Romberg House image via www.realestateview.com.au
While I am a big deco fan, I also love mid-century design and if I had the money, I would be buying this house in Eaglemont which has just come onto the market - The Romberg House at 30 Mount Eagle Road which I think would have spectacular views down to the river.  Frederick Romberg was a contemporary of Robin Boyd and while Boyd's work is relatively well known due to the existence of the Robin Boyd Foundation, I didn't know much about Romberg until now.

Speaking of mid-century design, the Mid-Century Modern: Australian Furniture Design exhibition dedicated to furniture from the 1940s-70s runs from May 30 - October 19 at the NGV.  It will feature pieces by Grant Featherston, Clement Meadmore and Douglas Snelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment