Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Brickheads

My boys have a Lego obsession and they're clearly not the only ones.  It was great to read about new social enterprise Inside the Brick at 70 Station Street Fairfield in The Sunday Age Extra article on the weekend and even more exciting was that I had booked a casual creative playdate there a couple of weeks ago.  My youngest son Will and his best friend had a great time there today and it's a fantastic set up - amazing vintage, limited edition/collector's pieces and current Lego displays on shelves all around the entire space, a retail store out the front, play tables set up with buckets of bricks and boards inside plus a bigger Duplo play area out the back for toddlers along with party table.  I had a chat to the founder and owner Rob Deakin who told me I'd joined 'the cult' that is Lego!  The only thing missing is a cafe but I ducked into Railway Place around the corner to the fabulous 15 Pounds cafe and grabbed some takeaway coffees (and later had lunch there), the cafe is also near the very stylish looking R.Macdonald horologist on the corner.

I'm also in the middle of helping out my client Avant Card with ideas to promote The Lego Movie being released on 3 April which my boys can't wait to see so it was also a timely visit.  The boys have been to a number of Lego-themed parties before as you'll see below and my clever friend Emma has some amazingly creative ideas here, here and here on her blog Frog, Goose and Bear.  She was the person who put me onto Inside the Brick in the first place - she also writes for Kidspot so is definitely a person in the know!



Speaking of parties, I just wanted to mention that the fabulous Nikki Ellis (or Cinchy as she's known) is holding a boutique design market of about 12 stalls (artisan jewellery, soaps, clothes, skincare and other gorgeous things) in her garden this Friday night from 7 - 9 pm at 52 Pyalong Avenue in Rosanna.  Please be mindful that this is her private home if you do go and let her know that Miss Rosanna sent you!  You'll soon be reading more about Nikki in this Friday's Local Profile.  St Anthony's Primary School at 52 Austin Street in Alphington is also holding a twilight fair from 3.30 - 8.30 pm on Friday night.  It's managed to snaffle Estelle Bar & Kitchen at 243 High Street Northcote as its major sponsor that will have an exclusive food stall there so I'm impressed.  There'll be food and drinks, entertainment, rides, books, a craft stall and silent auction - sounds like a great way to end the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment