Thursday, January 30, 2014

Galloping in

Wow - it's been a big day for me with my youngest child starting school - the end of an era and the dawning of a new one.  It seems fitting that a brand new Chinese New Year starts tomorrow - the Year of the Horse - a more outwardly focused, fast-paced, energetic 'yang' year so hold onto your bootstraps!  You may like to read more about what it's all about on Shelly Wu's Chinese astrology blog here.
There is also a lot happening around Melbourne for Chinese New Year and my fellow blogger and Asian Australian Joyce Watts has done a great round up of all activities here, in her blog Mel: hot or not - the decisive guide to Melbourne.  Whether you choose to stay in the burbs or venture into the city, there are lots of activities going on.
Melbourne Chinatown image via Wikipedia
Both sides of my family have hospitality backgrounds and I spent a large part of my childhood growing up frequenting family restaurants in Chinatown - one of which is still run by my Uncle George.  My paternal grandfather came here for the 1956 Olympics as a chef and both my dad's older and younger brothers are chefs while my maternal grandfather was the first Chinese Justice of the Peace in Melbourne and his father is buried at Melbourne Cemetery.  The Chinese are found in all four corners of the world - maybe that's where I get my sense of adventure :-)

While it's going to be a hot one, Mr Rosanna and I are going to take our chances and take the boys into the city this weekend for their first experience of Chinese New Year and to see the dragon 'Dai Loong' and lion dances parade up and down Little Bourke Street.

I love the other Chinese tradition of sweeping out the front of your house to welcome in the new year and invite positive energy into your life.  Kung hei fat choy!

No comments:

Post a Comment