Friday, August 2, 2013

Local Profile - Peta Skinner

I think that dancing, like music, is good for the soul.   I've done a number of dance classes over the years (as well as spending a good part of my late teens and early twenties clubbing the night away!).  Dancing is a really fun way to exercise, connect with other people and release stress.  It's great to know there is a new local dance school and teacher in Peta Skinner.  You may even catch me at a class one Monday night shaking my booty!  Read on for more about the very talented Peta Skinner.
Peta Skinner
Name: Peta Skinner
Occupation: Dance Teacher & Performer
Lives/works: Bundoora
How long have you lived/worked here?
I have lived in Bundoora for 22 years.  I recently moved to Hawthorn East but regularly visit my parents who still live in Bundoora.  I am starting up dance classes in Viewbank as I wanted to remain in the area where I grew up and have old school friends, family and other acquaintances.
Viewbank Scout Hall
Describe yourself/what you do:
After completing Year 12 at Bundoora Secondary College in 2007, I went on to do a Certificate 4 and Diploma in Dance & Performance at Dance Factory in Richmond.  While I was still studying at Dance Factory, I began teaching for them and also doing some small gigs and performance work.  I now work permanently for 3 different dance schools and sometimes teach one off classes in primary and secondary schools all across Melbourne.  Some of my dance credits include: regular tap gigs at the Old Melbourne Gaol, a nightclub extra in the movie 'Any Questions for Ben', Dora the Explorer Live Stage Show: Australian Tour, which also travelled to Abu Dhabi and Kuwait.

I have decided that it is time to open up my own dance school, 'P.S. Let's Dance'.  At the moment, I am just starting with an adult funk/hip hop class on Mondays from 7 - 8 pm at the scout hall, Rutherford Rd, Viewbank Reserve.  I am hoping to expand into children's classes and also start offering some additional class styles to adults.  I am proficient in teaching Jazz, Tap, Funk/Hip Hop, Lyrical Jazz/Contemporary and Ballet.  I would love to hear some feedback on what classes people in the area are interested in.

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east:
I think the best things about growing up in Melbourne's north-east are the proximity to everything you may need.  Good schools, transport and shopping centres and a friendly family environment.  At the same time we are close enough to the city for entertainment including live theatre, which is, of course, one of my great loves and interests.

For more information: 
Email: peta@psletsdance.com.au
Mobile: 0421 981 304
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/psletsdance



No comments:

Post a Comment