Thursday, August 8, 2013

Book me in

Read any good books lately?  It's the third annual National Bookshop Day this Saturday and you might want to head to your favourite bookshop.  I must admit, with all the reading I do for work, I find it hard to pick up a book and concentrate these days.  I've been struggling to read 'All That I Am' by Anita Funder and think it will only be when I go on holiday that I may actually finish it!  I find newspapers, magazines and works of fact not fiction easier to read these days but hope, given I was such a bookworm growing up, that I one day return to regular reading.  One book which I have read this year is one my friend Nik (who is also a yoga teacher) passed onto me - Buddhism for Mothers by Sarah Napthali - and whether you are into Buddhism or not, it's a great, easy read chock full of practical self-care tips for mothers.
Image via Allen & Unwin website
One of my favourite past times is browsing in bookshops and even with the advent of kindles and digital downloads, I don't think anything can replace the joy you get from picking up a book and ruffling through pages.  We're lucky to have a number of bookshops out this way including Andrews Books in Ivanhoe, the Eltham Bookshop and Volumes in Eltham, Robinsons Bookshop in Greensborough and other major booksellers at local shopping centres - some of these shops will be celebrating National Booksellers Day if you're out and about.

And while Spring is beckoning, I think reading a book at home or visiting your local library is a great way to pass the time while the weather is still cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment