Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Japonism

My immediate and extended family are Chinese Australian, yet many of my family members have long had a fascination for Japanese culture and stints living in Japan over the years.  I guess that's the beauty of being born in multi-cultural Melbourne.  Sadly, I've yet to go myself but it doesn't stop me liking all things Japanese in terms of its food, art and culture.  I'm not the only one, Asia has also inspired local artist Nerina Lascelles and her 'Japonism' exhibition starts today at Montsalvat's Long Gallery and runs until 25 August.  The official opening is being held tomorrow night from 6.30 - 8.30 pm with a 'Meet the Artist' event being held from 1 - 3 pm on Saturday 13 July, 3 & 24 August.
She Oak Moon image by Nerina Lascelles via www.montsalvat.com.au
I like Japanese art because a lot of it is nature-inspired - think bamboo, cherry blossom, peonies, orchids and flying cranes.  I've been lusting after a kimono robe from Beautiful Robes for a while now but can't make up my mind as all the designs are pretty lovely.  The environmentalist in me also likes the fact that they do a bamboo robe as well, bamboo is known for its thermal qualities and given how cold it's suddenly got, I'm liking anything that makes me feel warmer!
Cherry Blossom Kimono Robe by Beautiful Robes

No comments:

Post a Comment