Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Poetry of Dance

Libero by Kate Baker
I spent yesterday visiting both The Light Factory Gallery and Montsalvat in Eltham.  Kate Baker: Selected Works and Balkote - Zing up life by Jackie Gorring open at The Light Factory Gallery today and are on show until 14 April.  Kate Baker is an established fine art photographer and her beautiful and dramatic black and white photographic prints of a dancer show 'La Poesia della Danza' or 'The Poetry of Dance'.  Meanwhile printmaker Jackie Gorring's colourful and fun works using some very interesting materials (Chux wipes!) are inspired by a stay at the Ragini Art Village in Balkote, Nepal - one for modern art lovers.  The official opening is this Sunday from 2 - 4pm at the gallery.  Entry is free.
Zing up life by Jackie Gorring
I met with jeweller Jeanette Dyke at her studio in Montsalvat yesterday and her work is quite stunning if you are looking for both everyday pieces (I'm a big fan of her silver rings and earrings) or specially commissioned pieces for weddings, anniversaries and other keepsake occasions.  She will also soon be holding jewellery making workshops at her studio.  I fell in love with her 'peacock' drop earrings inspired by Montsalvat itself and the free range peacocks who wander the gardens - one of which gave me a big fright when it popped its head out at me while I was eating my lunch at The Meeting Pool restaurant.  Got to love all the nature out here!

Nb. Miss Rosanna is The Light Factory Gallery's freelance PR consultant.

No comments:

Post a Comment