Friday, February 8, 2013

Local profile - Jeanette Dyke

Besides Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day is also on its way so today's profile on jeweller Jeanette Dyke is fitting if you have something sparkly in mind to celebrate.  It's obvious that Jeanette also loves the Yarra Valley - something which I find apparent in many locals and artists who live and work in the area and probably not that unusual given the region's artistic heritage. Read on for more about Jeanette.
Jeanette in her Montsalvat workshop
Name: Jeanette Dyke
Occupation: Owner of Jeanette Dyke Gold + Silver at Montsalvat
Works: Montsalvat in Eltham
How long have you worked here?
I have lived and worked in the Nillumbik area for over 10 years, I came to visit Eltham one day and just fell in love with the place, in fact it gave me butterflies.
Flax Lily and Kangaroo Grass ring by Jeanette Dyke
Describe yourself/what you do:
Jeanette Dyke Gold + Silver aims to create unique jewellery for customers who have an eye for style and a love of all things different.  Using only precious metals, pearls and gemstones, I aim to make elegant jewellery that emanates soul, distinctive jewellery to the highest quality and timeless jewellery to make you feel beautiful.  These are works of art to posses forever as your own.  

Obsessed by learning, I have a wealth of skills and knowledge behind me including a Masters Degree in Gold and Silversmithing from the Royal College of Art in London. I have been creating jewellery for over 20 years in England and Australia and now design and craft from my studio in the artists colony of Montsalvat in Eltham.  Here I meticulously hand carve many tiny pieces of 18 carat gold and compose them to create an image that often evokes a scene, memory or a feeling.  They are then fused to the surface of silver, a delicate technique that is both challenging and almost impossible to emulate.  This technique gives my jewellery that unique creative edge and pieces are often one of a kind or custom made to order by the client to reflect their personal preferences.  These unique pieces of jewellery will last the ages and be desired by generations to come.

Best thing(s) about living and working in Melbourne’s north-east:  
The Yarra Valley is a special place where artists have gathered over the last hundred years, they have all been inspired, like me, by the innate energy of this area.  Some say it is one of the most beautiful places in Australia.  Only 30km from the city but surrounded by bush with the Yarra River and hills on your doorstep for inspiration, the Yarra Valley won me over many years ago, it is the only place in the world where I truly feel at home.

Four well-known art movements chose the Yarra Valley as their home; The Heidelberg School, the Heide Art movement, the Montsalvat Group and the Dunmoochin Artist’s Colony.  I came to Australia in 1996, having no family or connections here, I eventually ignited a connection with the arts of Nillumbik after moving from Brunswick to Eltham about 10 years ago. My connection with the arts grew from there on through my involvement with the Nillumbik Artists Open Studios, with Dunmoochin, first as an artist in resident and now as a member of the Board of Directors and my involvement with Montsalvat, establishing my workshop there over a year ago.  This connection has enabled me to put down roots and give me a feeling of belonging in a community that values the arts.  Many artists are still drawn to the area and many have been here all their lives, never moving away.  This is a special place where artists have both struggled and flourished for years and we will hopefully continue to flourish for many years to come.

For more information:
Mobile: 0403 852 444
Studio: Montsalvat, 7 Hillcrest Avenue, Eltham Vic 3095

No comments:

Post a Comment