Friday, December 14, 2012

Local profile - Kirsten Parry

I do admire a crafty person.  Patience is not one of my strong points and I think that many people who knit, sew and crochet (the list goes on) are incredibly patient as well as being creative, talented and resourceful.  I also think there is a meditative element to creating and making things by hand once you find your own rhythm.  Kirsten Parry is the owner, designer and creator of Little Cookie - selling hair accessories, pillows and personalised towels amongst other things.  Come and meet Kirsten!
Name: Kirsten Parry
Occupation: Sewer! 
Lives/works: Eltham
How long have you lived/worked here? I have lived in Eltham for 14 years

Describe yourself/what you do: 
I am married and have 2 gorgeous boys, aged 7 and 11.  I have always loved sewing.  My mum always sewed when I was young and I guess I got my love of sewing from her.  I love creating new things, although sometimes what I make doesn’t always look as good as it does in my head!  But I persevere until I get it right.  When you do what you love, it doesn’t feel like work!  
I love working from home.  It has always given me flexibility to work as well as care for my children.  Although this means that my work is always around me, I can pick it up and put it down at anytime.  I have created a nice little work area into the corner of my home and can see everything that is going on around me, rather than being tucked away in a room.  Things can get a bit messy though!  I have been selling my items at the Eltham Market for 11 years.  I started off selling Teddy Wheat Bags and then began making things for kids' bedrooms.  I still make these things but now sell handmade hair accessories.  Having 2 boys, I love making lots of girly things!

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne’s north-east: 
Not too far from the city but far enough away to enjoy lots of wide open spaces.

For more information:
Mobile Number: 0402 298 350

Please note that there is an online children's clothing store also called Little Cookie - this is not Kirsten's business.

1 comment: