Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Walkabout

I've been walking Thomas to school and back every day since he started and I think walking is very under-rated.  I think it's one of the best forms of gentle exercise (along with swimming) that you can do which is free, doesn't require a teacher/class or set time and brings you in touch with your community.  You just need a good pair of walking shoes, a positive attitude and a commitment to get out there rain, hail or shine.  Consistency is the most important thing when you start exercising - no matter how crabby or unmotivated you might feel!
Heidelberg Artists Trail image via Wikipedia
I actually started running on the back of doing a lot of walking when I was overseas.  Running was just a natural progression and I've now been doing this for over 10 years.  When it's been too hot or I've been too tired to run, I've gone for a walk instead.  I love how the Italians have made their traditional evening stroll into a ritual known as La Passeggiata.
Image via VicHealth website
We're lucky to have some amazing parkland and trails in the north east.  I have mentioned the Victoria Walks website before.  In it you'll find details of local walking groups as well as walking maps.  There's actually a couple of walking maps for the north east in the latest January newsletter including the Keelbundoora Scarred Trees and Heritage Trails walk and a Teen walkabout: From Preston to Fitzroy.  Happy trails!

3 comments:

  1. MissRosanna, we'd love to see a walk of you and Thomas's favourite neighbourhood strolls created on our maps with photos and descriptions of the things that interest and capture your imagination. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh yes then I'd better create one - heh heh heh! Will do when I get a chance. Heidelberg and Rosanna are quite hilly - I can still feel it in my calves from walking up Ruthven St the other day from Rosanna Golf Links park : )

      Delete