Friday, December 2, 2011

Local profile - Tracy Margieson

I've got a lot of respect for professional event managers.  In one of my previous lives I used to manage the European and Australian designer collection parades for David Jones in Melbourne which included an A list launch every 6 months - sounds glamorous right?  Hardest job I reckon I've ever had.  Tracy Margieson is a former event manager turned communications professional at Banyule City Council - read on for more about Tracy.
Name: Tracy Margieson
Occupation: Publications & Media Officer, previously the Festivals & Events Officer at Banyule City Council
Works: I was working in Rosanna, and now I am based in Ivanhoe.
How long have you worked here? Worked at Banyule City Council for just over 2 years
Describe yourself/what you do:
I started working at Banyule City Council in 2009 as the Festivals and Events Officer, coordinating the Banyule Festival (Twilight Sounds and the Kids ArtyFarty Fest), Carols by Candlelight, Malahang Festival and the Boulevard Lights. It was such a great job, the department is fantastic and it's an excellent organisation to work for.

An opportunity came up in the Communications Department, and I have now moved to Ivanhoe where I have been working as the Publications & Media Officer. I'm learning so much, and I’m lucky to have another amazing team to work with.

While my position is being advertised, I am coordinating Carols by Candlelight (6:30pm, Saturday 10 December at Poulter Reserve, Greensborough). I'm secretly very happy that I still get to run it – it's one of my favourite events (there will be reindeer, stilt walking candy canes, face painting elves and The Kazoos – how can it not be one of my favourite events?!).

Best thing(s) about working in Melbourne's north-east:
I am not from Melbourne, so I wasn't very familiar with Banyule until I started working here. I love the parks and reserves, particularly Sills Bend - seeing that beautiful, quiet space transformed for the Banyule Festival is a great experience.

I was also lucky enough to work with a lot of local businesses who were sponsoring various festivals and events. They are passionate about Banyule, and their enthusiasm for their community is wonderful. 

Now that I'm based at the Ivanhoe office, I've been trying out the (many, many) cafes and doing a bit of window shopping during lunch breaks.  I'm looking forward to Christmas shopping here!

For more information:
www.banyule.vic.gov.au/events

No comments:

Post a Comment