Friday, December 16, 2011

Local profile - Grace Carey

I'm friends and colleagues with a number of very talented Gen Y people and Grace is one of them.  I find it ironic that I look Asian yet speak no Chinese (I'm second generation Australian born) meanwhile Grace has blonde hair and blue eyes and speaks Mandarin.  Go figure!  It's one of the things I love about multicultural Melbourne - we are fast becoming a truly global city.  I've had the pleasure of working alongside Grace since the middle of this year - read on for more...
Name: Grace Carey
Occupation: Business manager at The Light Factory Gallery
Lives/works: Eltham/Eltham

How long have you lived/worked here?
I have lived in Eltham, broken by stints living in China and other extended overseas trips, for about 10 years.  I began working at the gallery well before it opened its doors in August 2010. I was present for its conception.
Describe yourself/what you do:
I deal with the business side of The Light Factory Gallery, assist with curating, photography and any odd jobs that need doing.  The gallery has not been open long but it has received such a fantastic response from the public.  It is hugely enjoyable to plan, curate and then open an exhibition, a process that can take months, to then be able to watch and interact with our patrons.  Our exhibitions change roughly every four weeks, with a proper opening on the first weekend, which is always quite the social event.  I feel very fortunate to be able to work in such a wonderful environment and stunning Alastair Knox building.  Art and Alastair Knox- very Eltham.
I very recently graduated from Monash University, so without the gallery, would be another Gen Y vagabond.  I majored in Mandarin Chinese and have been accepted into several masters degrees, so am currently deciding which MBA program structure will suit my academic and professional needs best, as well as allow me the flexibility to continue to travel and also gain more work experience in China.  Next year I will hopefully be able to balance work and study between Melbourne and Beijing.

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east:

The greenery!  I love returning from overseas and driving through the gateway of trees coming into Eltham - I know that I am home.  We take for granted the space that we have out here and being only 24kms from the city, we have the best of both worlds. Not to mention the Yarra Valley just down the road…

For more information:
Email: grace@thelightfactorygallery.com.au
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thelightfactorygallery
Join the gallery mailing list:
http://thelightfactorygallery.com.au/subscribe/

The next exhibition opens on Friday 10 February, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for the Versatile Bloggers Award http://leannecole.wordpress.com/2011/12/22/nights-and-awards/, I hope this is OK, blogspot has a problem with my web address, so please go to the link.
    Leanne Cole

    ReplyDelete