Friday, November 25, 2011

Local profile - Rina Chia

I've always loved fashion and as I've got older, my tastes have evolved to a love of eco and vintage fashion for all sorts of reasons - environmental and otherwise.  And I always find it inspiring to hear about female entrepreneurs.  Rina Chia is the founder of the travelling Take 2 Markets - read on for more.

Name: Rina Chia
Occupation: Managing Director - Take 2 Markets (T2M)
Lives/works: Live in Mont Albert, Take 2 Markets in Preston and Northcote

How long have you lived/worked here?
Have lived in Mont Albert for the past 12 years.  My work takes me here and there – Hawthorn, Geelong West and in the north-east to Preston and now Northcote.  Hopefully, interstate soon too!

Describe yourself/what you do:
I have always loved recycled fashion - from my days as an impoverished student when I had no money to buy at boutiques and retail stores, I found great clothes at op shops and garage sales and developed my own style which wasn't reliant on the latest trends.
Friends would ask where I shopped and couldn't believe that I found the things I had in op shops.  They're not surprised that I now make a living doing what I love.  I love that fashion can have more than one owner and hearing stories about where people wore this frock or those shoes.  Not only is recycled fashion good for the wallet, but also for the planet.

I love running T2M events as I get to meet so many wonderful people and shop!  I really encourage women to experiment with their shopping and secondhand shopping is a wonderful experience - the best part is that you never know what you might find.  I love the fact that T2M helps women make and save money. Since 2007 we've proved that you don't need to spend a fortune to look fantastic.  I am also a regular contributor to a money saving website and have made several public speaking appearances in the City of Boroondara.  I love fashion and going out, but I also love a quiet night at home out with my gorgeous boys (husband and two kids!).

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east:

in the 1990s I lived in North Fitzroy and just loved it – the close proximity to the city, the cafes, bars and restaurants just a stroll away.  I loved the diversity of the area – students, immigrants, the old and new guard all living side by side. Then I fell in love with a wonderful man who lived down by the bay..... and the rest is history!  I am no stranger to the north-east as I regularly shop in the area and meet up with friends.

For more information: 
Mobile: 0413 246 559
Email: rina@take2markets.com.au
Website: www.take2markets.com.au
Twitter: @take2markets
Facebook: www.facebook.com/take2markets

No comments:

Post a Comment