Friday, September 2, 2011

Local profile - Teresa Bennett

I first came across Teresa and her beautiful textiles at the Ivanhoe Makers Market a couple of years ago.  More recently, I bumped into her and her weekly knitting group at my local cafe.  It may be Spring but there's still a chill in the air so you may find yourself like me seeking out one of her fabulous pieces to wear.  And once again, it is inspiring to hear someone doing a career change into something more creative.
Name: Teresa Bennett
Occupation: Textile Artist
Lives/Works: Rosanna
How long have you lived/worked here? Over 20 years.

Describe yourself/what you do:  After a career in IT and coinciding with the birth of my children, I decided to study studio textiles at RMIT.  After graduating, and then winning the Old England Outdoor sculpture award, I'm adding studies in fine art, majoring in sculpture to my textiles practice.
Currently, as well as studying, I attend the Ivanhoe Makers Market and Rose St Artists market and sell my handmade, unique textiles.  I weave, knit, crochet, dye, spin and design a variety of mittens, scarves, hats, neck warmers and other bits and pieces. I love markets and I love talking about making.
Best thing about living/working in Melbourne's north-east: The environment here is beautiful with wonderful walks minutes from my doorstep.  The community, with local shops and activities. The people, of course.  Many have been here for years, grow up and come back.  I've made so many friends through playgroups, school, toy library, kindergarten, snb group, sewing group and everything else.

For more information:
http://tsbtextile.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/teesjourney
and I'm on facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment