Friday, August 12, 2011

Local profile - Nerina Lascelles

I've talked a lot about art and artists this week so it seems fitting that today's local profile is Nerina Lascelles - this year's Nillumbik Prize People's Choice Award winner and current artist-in-residence at Dunmoochin in Cottles Bridge.  I love that she also works an Art Therapist as well as her whole Asian aesthetic and am looking forward to her upcoming exhibition at Monsalvat in September.
Name: Nerina Lascelles
Occupation: Artist and Art Therapist
Lives/works: Artist in residence at 'Dunmoochin', Cottlesbridge
How long have you lived/worked here? 1.5 years

Describe yourself/what you do:
I am a Melbourne artist who has been exhibiting in Australia and internationally for over 20 years.  My paintings are part of private collections in Australia, Singapore, UK, America and Japan.  In my philosophy, I start with the proposition that the role of the artist is to depict the sacred.  It is the sacred things in the art of other traditions and cultures that primarily inspires my art practice.

I have also been practising as an Art Therapist for over 10 years.  I conduct sessions and consultations with a wide array of marginalised community groups and health services including homeless, drug and alcohol, and depression and stress disorder clinics.
"Clouds veil the moon..." Mixed media on canvas, Nerina Lascelles 2011
My most recent influences have been drawn from travel to Japan. These paintings consist of a pastiche of origami paper and fragments of kimonos along with gold and silver leaf, acrylic paint, bitumen and encaustic wax.  All these materials have been combined to create works that reflect the antique objects that inspire them while standing on their own as objects of beauty.

An upcoming exhibition of my work will open on Thursday 1 September in the Long Gallery at Montsalvat in Eltham.  This new series of paintings has been inspired by Haiku poetry from the Japanese masters and will be showing until 2 October. 

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east:
I haved lived in the beautiful leafy Nillumbik Shire for all my life.  While I have travelled the globe extensively in search of inspiration for my artwork, this beautiful part of the world always calls me home.  Over the years rural settings in Eltham, Warrandyte, Kangaroo Ground and Cottles Bridge have provided the perfect environment for my studios.  Places of peace, tranquility and silence… where the creative process can be nurtured. These areas are also very close to our world-class city of Melbourne.. which delivers artistic stimulation of a different kind!

For more information:
Website: www.nerinalascelles.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Nerina-Lascelles/90295966901
Blog: http://nerinalascelles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/nerinalascelles
Contact:  +61 422 800 713

No comments:

Post a Comment