Friday, July 22, 2011

Local profile - Wendy Brentnall

If you live in Rosanna or Diamond Creek (or anywhere in between for that matter), you've probably already heard about Wendy's Music.  I met Wendy the other night at a networking function not realising who she was at first.  After chatting for a few minutes, the penny dropped and I said to her, "Oh my god, I'm speaking to THE Wendy!". Apparently, she's gets that all the time...
Name: Mrs Wendy Brentnall-Wood
Occupation: Director of Music Education company  
Works:  I've worked in Rosanna since 1978 and Diamond Creek since 2009.
How long have you lived here?  I lived in Banyule from 1962 - 2007 and have been in Cottlesbridge (Nillumbik) since then.

Describe yourself/what you do:  I'm passionate about making music education easy and achievable so that as many people as possible can be involved in the enjoyment of making music.  My career began as a piano teacher putting myself through uni, then a classroom music teacher and music co-ordinator in several schools while continuing my private teaching.

Throughout my life I've always been fascinated by playing a wide variety of instruments. Although my formal lessons began on piano, I also learnt recorders at primary school and have always sung in a variety of choirs or ensembles.  In secondary school I learnt Clarinet, Oboe, Guitar and Percussion, then later took up violin, flute, drums and saxophone to varying levels.
Due to demand I began employing teachers in the mid '80s to assist in my goals of encouraging people of all ages to play.  We opened our first retail music school in Burgundy street, Heidelberg in 1985 known as Wendy's Piano Music and from there ran the Heidelberg Piano Eisteddfod for three years.  Eventually I wrote my own series of over 110 teaching books and other teaching materials that make learning to read music simple and structured and which form the unique Wendy's Music method, the Little Musos program and workshop programs.

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east:
I love the bush and wildlife in Cottlesbridge.  There's easy access to the city and a strong, artistic culture in both Banyule and Nillumbik.

For more information:
www.wendysmusic.com.au
http://www.twitter.com/wendysmusic
http://www.facebook.com/WendysMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment