Friday, July 15, 2011

Local profile - Lene Kuhl-Jakobsen

I've talked about Lene before and her beautiful ceramics.  Needless to say I've got my eye on a few of her pieces as gifts for friends and family.  I also think working with clay is one of the more meditative arts.  Lene currently sells her pieces locally at the Ivanhoe Maker's Market which will be moving from Banyule Arts Space around the corner to the Livingstone Community Centre in Ivanhoe next month.
Name: Lene Kuhl Jakobsen
Occupation: Ceramic artist
Lives/works: Heidelberg
How long have you lived/worked here? Since 1987
Describe yourself/what you do:  I work from a studio at home hand-making high fired stoneware items mainly functional wares such as vases, bowls and tea mugs.  I participate in many exhibitions in Australia with one-off pieces such as sculptures and larger works.  I am also often asked to make special pieces for gifts.
I design and make a variety of different series of pieces to cater to various style tastes! I sell these at a few different shops in Victoria such as Craft Victoria, Twenty 21 and Wilkins and Kent.  I am also part of the Ivanhoe Makers Market which takes place on the 3rd Saturday of the month.  The next market is on 20 August at the Livingstone Community Centre in Ivanhoe.
Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east: I love the green areas along the Yarra and the creeks.  It is so special to have kangaroos and amazing bird life so close by.  I also like to go bike riding along the paths in Banyule and beyond.

For more information:
Website: www.lenekj.com
Phone: 9457 5770
Email: studio@lenekj.com

No comments:

Post a Comment